Sunday, September 13, 2009

New Software Development Process, Part 3 - Installing the GCC Minimal System Utilities

These steps are the ones I took to install the GCC MSys utilities on our Windows/x86 platform.

NOTE: I downloaded the MSys installer while I was installing the GCC compiler tools. (See previous blog entry. http://techadventurer.blogspot.com/2009/09/installing-compiler-tools-for-new.html)

First, I went to the following directory

C:\SWDevTools\MinGW\bin

and rename

mingw32-make.exe

to

make.exe


NOTE: The post install batch command file will rename it back to the original name.



I scanned the file "MSYS-1.0.11.exe" for viruses and then executed it.

Specify the following "Destination Directory"

C:\SWDevTools\MSys

and the following "Start Menu Folder"

MinGW

I continued with the post install.

When it asked for the path where MinGW is installed, I specified the following
c:/SWDevTools/MinGW

NOTE: I used forward slash (under the '?').



To test the GCC Minimal System Utilities, I executed MSys from the "Start" menu.

Start -> MinGW -> MSYS -> MSYS


Its text terminal interface appeared.

At the line command prompt I typed the following commands:

cd /c/SWDevTools/MinGW

ls

cat installed.ini

The "ls" command yielded contents of the directory
c:\SWDevTools/MinGW

The "cat installed.ini" command yielded the contents of the file
installed.ini

MSys was installed successfully.

No comments: